Wednesday 24 September 2014

TAKEN versus Captain Phillips...

A reviewer suggested that TAKEN is like Captain Philips (the movie - not the bloke) and I think this stems from the scene where Rio and the others are taken. They defend themselves with flares, shooting them at the pirates. I did write this scene some years before the movie and it was based on a bit of research and pure imagination. I thought, 'What would I do if I were in that situation?' I don't think it is rocket science - if you will excuse the pun - to fight back with anything you have to hand.

I discovered the Captain Phillips scene as I was planning to deliver a school event. The TV was on in the background and a trailer for the movie aired. I was soon jumping up and down on the couch yelling 'they've nicked my scene!'. I think I went to the cinema the very next day to check it out. Of course Cap'n Phillips was loosely based on a real event so, in the end, I came to the conclusion that it was just one of those things.

On a similar note - the TV series 'Our Girl' has just begun airing on the BBC. It features a young female army medic and a mysterious Afghan girl - sound familiar? It was pitched to the Beeb two months after TORN came out in the UK...

No comments:

Post a Comment